Niagara Falls Running, Track & Field, and Jogging
[ Background | Equipment | Where ]
Running and jogging is an easy and convenient way to get in shape and meet people. Running is simply jogging FASTER. Running virtually no equipment and can be done anywhere, and can be done alone or in groups. If you have concerns about your heart or breathing discuss it with you doctor first.
[ Return to top ]
Running shoes (sometimes called "cross-training shoes") should be both comfortable and lightweight and provide good arch and ankle support. Every foot and every shoe is different and you should try on the shoes you buy and even walk around for a few minutes to ensure a comfortable fit. Some optional items to consider are: a wristwatch/stopwatch, a water resistant wind suit (Gortex is best) for all-weather running, and a water bottle. Almost any sporting goods store sells the equipment, and there are several sports shoe even running specialty stores in the city.
[ Return to top ]
Lots of running trails along the region's many kilometres of recreational pathways, particularly along the Niagara River, along the Welland Canal and along Lake Ontario in St Catharines.
Also some cross-country running along the Bruce Trail along the Niagara Escarpment as well as various forests and nature trails.
If you choose to run at night, run in brightly-colored or reflective clothing, and consider running with a partner for safety.
If you would like to join a running club, there are some in and around the region that will help you
- Grimsby Road Runners (905-945-4693)
- Grimsby Running Club (905-945-1857)
- St. Catharines Roadrunners and Walkers (St. Catharines), Drew Bayley 905-938-1602
- Track Niagara (Niagara Falls), John May 905-374-8357
There are also a few running races throughout the year, with most in the summer:
- end February: Subaru Grimsby ˝ Marathon & 5K – Grimsby, Ont. – Niagara Running Series
- end June: Peachbud 10K, 5K & 1K – Grimsby, Ont. – Niagara Running Series
- late July: Niagara Triathlon / Duathlon – Grimsby, Ont. – Subaru Triathlon Series
- mid-September: Run For The Grapes ˝ Marathon & 5K – St. Catharines, Ont. – Niagara Running Series
- end September: N.O.T.L. Duathlon – Niagara–on–the–lake, Ont. – Niagara Running Series
- late October: Casino Niagara Marathon - Niagara Falls, ON