Niagara Falls, Ontario, Niagara Falls, New York, Niagara Region & Niagara Frontier New York Museums: Museums information, listings and links
Here are the musuems in the Niagara Falls, New York area (admissionprices in US dollars, plus sales tax)"
Castellani Art Museum of Niagara Falls
Niagara University, NY 14109
Museum houses a permanent collection of 20th-century contemporary art, prints, drawings and photography. Ongoing exhibition and interpretation of the collection-now over 4,000 works of art-is complemented by rotating special exhibitions and related educational programming. Allow 1 hour, Open year round, Tue-Sat 11am-5pm; Sun 1-5pm;closed some major holidays. Group tours between 9:30am-noon or by appointment.
Colonel William Bond House
143 Ontario St.,
Built in 1824, it was the first brick house to be built in Lockport. Twelve rooms have been restored with pre-Victorian era furnishings. It is operated by the Niagara County Historical Society. The Colonel William Bond House is open 1-5 p.m. on Thursdays, Saturdays, Sundays, and by appointment. Donations are accepted.
Das Haus German Heritage Museum
2549 Niagara Road,
This museum features an 1843 log home, migration history of Prussian Lutherans and exhibitions.
Discovery Geological Museum
1/2 mile North of the Falls
Niagara Falls NY.
Museum offers a look into the formation of the Falls, including a 20 minute screen show Open in Fall-Spring 9:00 A.M-5:00 P.M; Summer 9:00 A.M - 7:00 P.M.
Admission: $1.00 U.S. funds
The Herschell Carousel Factory Museum
North Tonawanda (call for directions)
This museum, located in North Tonawanda, explains the history of the carousel. The first steam-driven "riding gallery" or merry-go-round was built by Allen Herschell in 1883, and the company became the world's largest manufacturer of carousels and amusement park devices. The museum contains vintage carousels, and has Sunday Family Programs and wood-carving demonstrations. Closed January through March.
Historical Society of the Tonawandas
24 E. Niagara St.
Historic Lewiston, Lewiston, NY
476 Center St
Lewiston, NY 14092
Along the Niagara River from the Niagara Escarpment to Lake Ontario see many homes, quaint shops, and restaurants dating from the War of 1812 showcasing the area's history, the arts, fishing, boating.
469 Plain St
Learn about the history of Lewiston.
Lockport Canal Museum
located at the base of locks 34-35
The Lockport Canal Museum shows the history of one of the world's greatest engineering feats, the Erie Barge Canal. The canal was built in just eight years, from 1817 to 1825, and expanded travel to the west by connecting the Hudson River with Lake Erie. Open daily, May-October, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The museum has no admission charge.
PO Box 176
Bridge St Station
Niagara Falls, NY 14305
This historic farm offers tours of The Underground Railroad in The United States and Canada, with re-enactments of African-Americans slaves seeking freedom.Open year-round, by appointment. Admission $20 per person.
In 1793, Governor General of Upper Canada, John Graves Simcoe, introduced legislation challenging the legal status of slavery, and in 1834, slavery was abolished throughout the British Empire. America's northern states opposed slavery, and Congress passed the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, which barred slavery in the north (and new states in the west), but still allowed slave owners to recapture former slaves. During the 1840's, 1850's and 1860's, the Underground Railroad operated at its peak helping former slaves escape to Upper Canada where their freedom was guaranteed. The Underground Railroad was a series of safe houses run by people committed to antislavery, where runaway slaves were housed and given assistance. The Buffalo/Fort Erie communities were major conduits of the Underground Railroad. The escaping families were ferried across the Niagara River to Fort Erie, where they were accommodated at the Bertie Hall until permanent accommodations and jobs could be found. At that point, the former slaves would disperse to areas throughout Upper Canada.
Museum of the Historical Society of the Tonawandas
113 Main St
Niagara Aerospace Museum
345 3rd St
Ira G. Ross Center (across street from Seneca Niagara Casino)
Niagara Falls, NY 14303
Explore Western NY's aviation history. Antique aircraft artifacts, rocket belts, and stories behind them. 140 seat theater with BOSE surround sound. Open year-round. Mon-Sat 10am-8pm; Sun 11am-5pm. Take 1 hr. Grouu tours welcome 11am-2pm or by appointment. Admission Adults $ 7.00 Children $ n/a
Niagara County Historical Society
215 Niagara St
Niagara County historical displays include a Junior R (a locally produced aluminum automobile), pioneer and Indian artifacts, farm equipment, and a Fitz-Gerald Medical exhibit. Genealogical researchers are welcome. Reprints of the 1860 maps of Niagara County and of towns and villages in the county are for sale. Open 1-5 p.m. on Thursdays to Sundays, and by appointment. Donations are accepted.
Niagara Gorge Discovery Center & Schoellkopf Geological Museum
Robert Moses Parkway (2 blocks north of Main Street & Niagara Blvd)
Niagara Falls, NY 14303
Learn about the natural and local history of the Niagara Gorge and Falls. Ride the virtual reality Gorge Elevator Experience, zoom in on the Falls with the Real Time Gorge Camera, control the movement of continents and gorge formation in the Time Portal, and see the show on the gorge, trail system and area attractions. Open Memorial Day - Labor Day daily 9am -7pm; rest of the year, daily 9am -5pm. Allow 1.5 hours. Admission Adult $5.00 US, Children $3.00
Niagara's Wax Museum of History
303 Prospect St (opposite State Park and Falls)
Niagara Falls, NY 14303
See the history of Greater Niagara depicted with life-sized wax figures. Native-American village, balls and barrels daredevils used. Gift shop. Open : May 12-Oct 20, 9am-10pm; rest of year 10am-5pm. Allow ½ to 1 hour. Admission: Adults $ n/a Children $ n/a
Old Fort Niagara
Fort Niagara State Park
Robert Moses Parkway North
Youngstown, NY 14174
The original buildings date back to the 1700'sm with the Fort begun by the French, expanded by the British, and used by the United States during the Ware of 1812. The restored fort features exhibits, events, and living history. Re-enactments and musket firing demo's daily during the summer or help you re-live a day in the life of a soldier. Open year-round, daily 9am-late pm. Closed Thanksgiving, Dec 25, Jan 1. Allow 2 hrs. Groups welcome 9am-4pm or by appointment. Nearby seasonal picnic and swimming facilities.
Admission : $5 - $10
Polly King Art Gallery
670 Chilton Ave
Niagara Falls, NY.
Polly King was born at the turn of the century in Wheeling, West Virginia. She painted and sketched through every decade of her life until her death in 1993 at the age of 91. Throughout her works, she has completely covered the fabric and texture of the 20th century.
River Lea Historic Farm House
Beaver Island State Park
2136 W Oakfield Rd (off Beaver Island State Parkway)
mailing: Box 135, Grand Island, NY 14072
See this restored Victorian-style farm house, home of Lewis Allen, founder of Erie County Fair. Furnishings. Call for hours and prices.
Town of Cambria Historical Society
4159 Lower Mountain Rd
Town of Niagara Historical Society
9670 Lockport Rd
Town of Niagara, NY.
(716) 297-1347 or (716) 297-8686
Town of Porter Historical Museum
240 Lockport St
(take Robert Moses Parkway north to #93. Turn left into townside, for one mile)
Youngstown, NY 14174
Artifacts of the Town of Porter. Located in the heart of the Historic Village of Youngstown on second floor of Red Brick School Building, circa 1892.
Open Wed, Thu 2-4pm; Sat 10am-2pm; Closed Sat during summer months. Allow 1 hour. Group Reservation Required
Town of Somerset Historical Society
1642 Quaker Rd
(716) 795-9919 or (716) 795-9948
Wilson Historical Museum
Housed in a 1912 NYC Railroad depot, the museum exhibits show local history since the early 1800's. The Wilson Historical museum hosts a 1909 railroad caboose, as well as changing exhibits. Genealogical records are available upon request. Antique cars are on exhibit during July and August. Closed January through March. Open Sundays 2-4 p.m.