Port Colborne, a community of 18,000, is the Lake Erie gateway to the Welland Ship Canal. Following the completion of the First Welland Canal in 1833, William Hamilton Merritt (who led the infantry at the Battle of Waterloo, and later as Lieutenant-Governor, he helped establish Upper Canada College) He helped find British investors to finance construction of the First Welland Canal, and then purchased land surrounding Gravelly Bay and re-named the Canal's southern port-of-entry in honour of the Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada (Ontario), Sir John Colborne.
Port Colborne has extensive industrial lands at the mouth ot the Welland Canal and to the north of Main Street, providing employment in the community.
Official Website for City of Port Colborne
FoundLocally's Port Colborne tourist information
FoundLocally's Port Colborne image gallery
FoundLocally's Business listings for Port Colborne
The city is divided into two by the Welland Ship Canal, with most of the community on the west side. The newer subdivisions, like Rosedale and Meadow Heights are further away from the lake, though there are a number of lakeside communities to the east of the community and to the west (in Wainfleet).
There are 12 elementary schools (6 public, 5 separate), 1 French elementary separate and 2 high schools, and students are close to the Niagara College in Welland.
There is a cental shopping district along Clarence Street, as well as further north on Main Street and the city has one shopping Mall.
Port Colbone has 4 community centres, 2 ice arenas, 3 marinas, 1 theatre, 1 indoor pool, a public beach, 18 baseball diamond, 13 tennis courts, 17 public golf courses, and 3 private golf courses. To the east of the community is the Gasport Motor Speedway, and to the west are a number of larger parks including the Wainfleet Wetland Conservation Area.